Are you wondering what you can do to sell your home quickly without spending a lot of money in home renovations? Your Sutton Group - Canwest REALTOR® has some practical advice on how to showcase your home to attract potential buyers. A buyer makes a decision whether or not they want to buy your home within 5 seconds of walking in the front door. The idea behind home staging is to prepare your home to appeal to the widest audience of viewers. Like a display suite, your house should encourage buyers to visualize living there. If your home is cluttered, out-dated, or is not selling, you may want to hire a professional home stager who can make your home more attractive to buyers. Here are some useful tips if you want to know the basics of home staging so you can make changes yourself.
- Think of your home as a commodity. Remember, it is not going to be your home anymore and should be marketed as a product. When looking at your home, you should decide on a general theme that emphasis the best features of your home and portrays an overall mood.
- You don't get a second chance to make a first impression. Clean up and revamp your front entrance way. It is the first place a buyer will see. Polish doorknobs, replace burnt out bulbs, and repaint the door if it is stained or scratched.
- Do a thorough cleaning before putting your house on the market. Spotless walls, windows, carpets, flooring, and appliances make a lasting first impression. Key areas are the kitchen, bathroom and front entry. If your carpets or vinyl floors are stained, especially in high traffic areas, you should consider replacing them.
- Consider the outside of your house. Does your siding need washing, your gutters cleaning out, or your hedge need trimming? A tidy outside raises less concern about maintenance issues.
- Remove any clutter. Small appliances on countertops, knick-knacks, jam-packed bookshelves can be packed away in preparation of moving. Family photos should also be packed away so that the potential buyer can more easily visualize their own possessions in your home. This also includes removing any excess furniture so your home has a spacious airy feeling. You may want to rent a temporary storage unit for furniture and other boxes that take up room in your closets or storage spaces.
- Arrange the furniture in your home to showcase its best features. Put a few pieces on angles to create cozy corners, and a less boxy look.
- Remove any area rugs that are covering attractive flooring and a fresh coat of paint can do wonders for a dingy room. Try using currently fashionable colors to update your home's décor. Cream or neutral colors warm up a room making it feel giving a homey impression.
- Vacant homes should have the heat or air conditioning on for showing purposes. It reduces the stale odors that accumulate inside of a vacant house and gives a more inviting impression to potential homebuyers.
- The mood you create in your home is also dependent on odors. If you home has an unpleasant or mildew smell you will want to remove the source of the odor. Open up the windows to let fresh air inside your home before you show it. If you are going to use a scented candle or incense, try and use mild varieties as strong smells can irritate sensitive noses.
- Baking bread, playing soft music, and adding additional plants to your home, are all psychological cues that make a potential home buyer feel like your home is a nice place to live in and they will spend more time previewing your house. Outdoor planters and indoor floral arrangements are visually pleasing.
- Consider your lighting. Natural light makes a home feel more welcoming, open and appealing. Drapes and blinds should be opened and mood lighting left on in darker rooms.
- Take a look at your possessions. Stained or tattered items should be removed from view. Fresh towels, made beds, and clean throw rugs are a must.
- Fix any small repairs, including leaky faucets, squeaky doors, and loose door handles. They may seem insignificant but minor repairs add up in the mind of a potential buyer.
- If you have pets, ensure that their dishes, sleeping areas, and litter boxes are clean. Any noticeable pet hair should be vacuumed, and dog droppings removed from the yard.
If you know the mood you want to create but do not have the furnishings, consider renting them. Large pictures, designer coffee tables, and accessories that enhance your homes overall look may increase the appeal of your home without seriously denting your pocket book.